Start an Application
Narrow your Search
Coltman Chamber Music Competition: March 26 & 27, 2022
Named after Austin Chamber Music Center founder, Felicity Coltman, Coltman Chamber Music Competition provides performance experience and expert judge commentary to advanced chamber ensembles along with cash prizes and performance opportunities. The nationwide competition is in its ninth year inviting amazing talent to Austin from all around the country!
The 9th Annual Coltman Competition will be held in-person at The University of Texas at Austin Butler School of Music on March 26 & 27, 2022. Competition staff reserve the right to cancel or amend any or all of the 2022 competition.
COVID-19 Precautions: Competition staff urges all ensembles to abide by local and state health and safety guidelines. Our first priority is ensemble and community safety. We are closely monitoring the pandemic and its impact on in-person events. The competition will be following all City of Austin, CDC, and/or venue guidelines.
Wednesday, January 12, 2022 | Online submission opens
Tuesday, February 1, 2022 | Submission deadline for all application materials for both Junior and Senior Division Categories at 11:59 PM (CST)
Week of February 21, 2022 | Applicants notified of pre-screening audition results
Saturday, March 26, 2022 | Live semi-final rounds
Sunday, March 27, 2022 | Live final rounds
University of Texas at Austin
Butler School of Music
2406 Robert Dedman Drive
Austin, TX 78712
Eligibility Requirements & Regulations
Senior Division: String & Piano Category and Mixed Instrumental Category
2022 Senior Division Categories Eligibility and Regulations.pdf
* Ensemble members must be an average age of 18 to 30 on 3/26/22
Junior Division: String & Piano Category and Mixed Instrumental Category
2022 Junior Division Categories Eligibility and Regulations.pdf
* Ensemble members must be an average age of 18 or under on 3/26/22 -- However, if any member(s) of the ensemble are in college then the ensemble should submit a Senior Division application
String & Piano Category
- String ensembles (violin, viola, cello, string bass, harp, classical guitar)
- String and piano ensembles
- Wind and string players: If the majority of the ensemble members are string players, then the ensemble should submit an application in this category. Competition staff has the right to reassign an ensemble into the other category.
Mixed Instrumental Category
- Woodwind ensembles (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone)
- Brass ensembles (trumpet, trombone, horn, euphonium, tuba)
- Percussion ensembles
- Mixed woodwind, brass, percussion, string, harp, classical guitar, piano ensembles
- Wind and string players: If the majority of the ensemble members are wind players, then the ensemble should submit an application in this category. Competition staff has the right to reassign an ensemble into the other category.
Frequently Asked Questions
Coltman FAQs Page: After looking through the Eligibility Requirements and Regulations, if your ensemble has a question, please visit the Coltman FAQs page before emailing competition staff.
Ensemble Prizes: Winning ensembles will receive cash prizes, performance opportunities, and prestigious recognition.