For Info and Auditions
Narrow your Search
Thank you for visiting our listing in the Acceptd Directory! Please feel free to Follow Us, Invite to View Profile, and Favorite our listing above. Check out our website!
How do I become an ACU Theatre major?
Admission to the ACU Theatre Department is by interview and audition (performers, directors, education, and ministry).
All audition dates will require a pre-screen of their submitted materials to Acceptd. Once all of your materials have been submitted, you will be contacted to schedule an audition date. All prospective students should be admitted to the University before they come to their audition.
• November 18, 2022: In Person Audition
• December 2, 2022: Virtual Audition
• January 27, 2023: Virtual Audition
• February 17, 2023: In Person Audition
What can I study at ACU Theatre?
Areas of study include the following tracks:
- Musical Theatre
- Theatre Ministry
- Theatre Education
What kind of opportunities will I have?
A typical ACU season consists of five or more productions including a large scale musical, classical productions, a thought-provoking contemporary production, student-directed works, and a summer Shakespeare Festival. Students have opportunities to act, sing, dance and direct; to design costumes, sets, sound, lights, makeup and hair; to stage manage, dramaturg, engage in stage combat and dialect work, and more! Our 2022-2023 season includes: Disney's The Little Mermaid, The Coast Starlight, Almost, Maine, Little Women, One Night Only Dance Show, and Godspell. In collaboration with the Abilene Shakespeare Festival, summer 2023 festival productions will be announced soon.
Why ACU Theatre?
In addition to our highly respected training in theatre, what makes ACU unique is the added dimension of the Christian worldview that defines our work as artists. At ACU Theatre you will find a group of believers who are dedicated to exploring the issues of faith and art. In addition, here are a few reasons to choose ACU Theatre:
- An small number of freshmen/transfer students are admitted each fall, determined by audition/interview.
- Limited total enrollment of students provides more performance opportunities for each student and smaller faculty/student ratios.
- Training reflects cutting-edge, contemporary curriculum including the Alexander Technique, the Linklater Vocal Technique, and concepts of actor training from Robert Cohen, Michael Shurtleff, David Craig, the Atlantic Theatre Company, and Stanislavski.
- The Williams Performing Arts Center, a $17 million facility, features the Fulks Theatre (a 325-seat theatre) and the Culp Theatre (a multi-form theatre).
- The Homecoming Musical is performed annually in the on campus Boone Family Theatre.
- Theatre students’ academic awards have included Dean’s Honor Roll (more than 50 percent regularly), Valedictorian, Trustees’ Award, B. Sherrod, Dean Adams, Servant Leader, Who’s Who, University Scholar and Honor Student.
- Theatre students’ average GPA and SAT\ACT score exceeds university average.
- BFA is awarded in seven different tracks.
- Alumni are successful in grad school as well as in professional employment.
To provide quality training and opportunity for the disciplined theatre artist in a nurturing environment that models Christian values.
The ACU Theatre has at its base a system of values anchored in the Judeo-Christian God. We believe each individual who comes to us is God-created and carries his image in unique, creative ways. We believe in an integrated life in which spiritual depth, intellectual pursuit, artistic excellence, emotional stability, and physical soundness are bound together in a total approach to work and play.
Vocation, Discipline, Community and Christian Values
- As artists we participate with God to incarnate the word - to give it life and meaning. Madeleine L'Engle says,"I believe that each work of art, whether it is a work of great genius, or something very small, comes to the artist and says, 'Here I am. Enflesh me. Give birth to me.' And the artist either says, ‘My soul doth magnify the Lord,' and willingly becomes the bearer of the work, or refuses."No matter what path in life we assume to earn our living, we have been called into the vocation of theatre.
- Discipline is the path to freedom in any craft. Fear, mental laziness, tension, dishonesty, physical blocks, lack of accountability, and all other obstacles to expression, growth, and artistic service must be eradicated, and the means of that process is discipline. Freedom within craft should be the goal of any student in the arts, because it is this freedom that allows the vision of the artist to be fully released.
- Every theatrical endeavor pursued by the ACU Theatre belongs to the community as a whole. From the lighting operator to the lead actor to guest artists, we are all essential to the creative process. We encourage our students and staff to take ownership of every production regardless of their involvement.
- As Christians, the sources of our values are God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. We believe the scriptures to be the word of God, inspired, and to contain truth that can be reasonably grasped as well as truths that are deep mysteries. And while those at work in the Department of Theatre may differ on some issues of doctrine, there is agreement in the Lordship of Jesus.
It is no easy task to comprehend such a calling, nor is it easy to walk such a path. However, we seek the integration of faith and artistic life, and we believe it must be stated clearly that the basis of our life and work (whether in the selection of plays, the building of syllabi for classes, the completion of homework, casting, rehearsals, or crew work) is found in the spiritual values of historic Christianity.
ACU Theatre students love talking with prospective students! If you would like to get in contact with some of our theatre students through email please send your name and questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'contact a student'.
Questions? Contact us at:
325-674-2197 or email@example.com
For technical questions, please visit the Acceptd Help Desk.