Start an Application
Narrow your Search
The American Honors Youth Orchestra
ANNOUNCING THE 2022 EUROPEAN TOUR
The American Honors Youth Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Andrew Gekoskie, announces the 2022 European Tour of Hope and Healing. The ensemble is open to the country’s best orchestral musicians between the ages of 16-25. This auditioned full orchestra will be in residence in the Washington, D.C. area one week prior to their European Tour to rehearse, interact with each other, and learn from exemplary section coaches in preparation for the tour. As a member of the orchestra, you will serve as an American Music Ambassador representing your home, school, ensemble, state, and region of your country on our “Tour of Hope and Healing”.
Open to US citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) from throughout the country, The American Honors Youth Orchestra is open, by audition, to musicians between the ages of 16-25 (by June 1, 2022). Bringing together the best young musicians from throughout the US, the orchestra will tour and perform in Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, and Slovakia. The American Honors Youth Orchestra will be a full-sized symphony orchestra of about 100 musicians. Musicians may apply on the following instruments: violin, viola, cello, string bass, flute, oboe, English horn, clarinet, bassoon, French horn, trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, tuba, piano, and percussion including timpani.
The American Honors Youth Orchestra and European Tour will have many full scholarships for accepted applicants. The program will cover all expenses related to instructional, rehearsal, performance, tour activities, airfare during the tour, transportation while in residence in Washington, D.C. and throughout the tour, meals, sightseeing, and hotels. The cost of the tour will be $4355 per performer, however many full scholarships, and sponsors will be offered. Our goal is to secure sponsors to cover ALL costs. Items not covered will be the necessary transportation/airfare and related instrument baggage costs to and from Washington, D.C. for the residency and pick up from Dulles airport after the tour. Additionally, musicians will be responsible for payment of their $50 initial application fee paid at the time of audition submission as well as the cost of a current US Passport.
Applications will be evaluated based upon the musician’s musicality, technical abilities, musicianship, willingness to travel, references, biographical essay, and passion. Each applicant will submit a video recording of listed orchestral excerpts for their instrument. You will be uploading your video files using our online application via our partners at Acceptd. File sizes up to 5GB are accepted. We do recommend a high-quality video consistent with an internet video, recorded in segments for uploading.
Audition materials will include recorded performance segments of the required repertoire; 2 reference letters from musicians/directors who have worked with you or have assessed your playing abilities.
- March 31, 2021: Audition excerpts are posted for the 2022 Tour posted on http://goperforming.com/tour/the-american-honors-youth-orchestra/
- June 1, 2021: Application window opens on Acceptd
- August 15, 2021: Application deadline
- September 1, 2021: Recommendations deadline
- October 1, 2021: Applicants notified via email of their status
- June 27, 2022: Residency/Rehearsals begin in Washington, D.C.
- Video Audition - one take for each excerpt without editing. At the beginning of your video please include a spoken introduction of your name, instrument, hometown, and excerpt you will be performing.
- Submission of a Biographical Essay - maximum 300 words describing your background/experiences as well as how this tour will help you with attaining your musical and personal goals.
- Two Recommendations - each recommendation should be completed by a conductor/director/musician who can attest to your musical and personal qualities. The recommendations will be emailed directly to our offices.
For technical questions, please check out our Acceptd Applicant Support Help Desk.