Start an Application
Narrow your Search
64th Concerto Competition for Orchestral Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion
Round 1 Submission Deadline: Friday, September 29, 2023
Round 2 Live-Audition Competition: Saturday, January 6, 2024
QUICK CLICK: JSO*YAC info page
We are now accepting applications for our 2023-24 concerto competition. The JSO*YAC amplifies the solo careers and musical talents of aspiring young artists, ages 23 and under, from national and international music institutions. Each year the instrumental focus changes; the 2023-24 cycle is for classical musicians performing a full concerto or similar repertoire for a woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument.The Jefferson Symphony Orchestra and YAC committee invite you to the Front Range of Colorado! Our competition — now in its 64th year — offers cash prizes and exceptional performance opportunities for rising musicians.
JSO*YAC CASH PRIZES
- Grand Prize - $5,000
- Second Prize - $2,000
- Third Prize - $1,000
As the JSO*YAC Grand Prize winner, your awards include two spotlight performances: a solo chamber recital of your choice of literature and your concerto performance with the Jefferson Symphony during the 2023-24 Season.
- Friday, April 5, 2024 — Young Artist Recital
- Sunday, April 7, 2024 — Young Artist Concert
JSO*YAC KEY DATES
Round 1 is now open through September 29, 2023. Visit our JSO*YAC info for full details. [Click here]
- Friday, September 29, 2023: Round 1 submission deadline for application, audio and video recording, and registration fees via Acceptd.
- All movements of your selected concerto must be uploaded via Acceptd by our Round 1 deadline.
- Types of video files must be one of the following: MP4, M4V, AVI, FLV, MOV, WMV, MPG, MPEG, M2V, MKV, WEBM.
- Your recorded piece must include audio and video of an entire concerto performance with accompaniment. Orchestral accompaniment and piano reductions with a collaborative pianist are both acceptable.
- Concerto submissions will be adjudicated by a panel of two judges.
- Notifications will be sent by October 11, 2023, to all applicants and the twelve finalists selected for Round 2.
- Saturday, January 6, 2024: all-day live finals and Winners' Recital at Colorado Christian University in Lakewood, CO.
- Each performance will be adjudicated by a panel of three judges.
- Competition results are announced in the afternoon.
- The Winners' Recital featuring the top three finalists is scheduled on that same Saturday evening at 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 4, through Sunday, April 7, 2024: Dress Rehearsals, Young Artist Recital, and Young Artist Concert with JSO.
- Repertoire, full season info, and conductor TBA.
INFO + QUESTIONS