Start an Application
Narrow your Search
The next JIC will take place March 21, 2022–March 24, 2022
Please note that the age limit will be extended such that anyone who would have been eligible on the original final date of the competition, March 20, 2021, will be eligible for the rescheduled competition. That is, the upper age limit, FOR THIS COMPETITION YEAR ONLY because of the special circumstances of the pandemic, will be 18; the lower age limit will remain 13 (as of March 24, 2022).
The application deadline is December 1, 2021, 11:59 p.m., EST
2022 Johansen International Competition for Young String Players (Ages 13–17)
Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation, Inc.
Applications open March 1st, 2020
The Johansen International Competition (JIC) for Young String Players Ages 13–17 (violin, viola, and cello) takes place once every 3 years. The next competition will take place March 21–24, 2022 in Washington, DC.
The JIC, which was held for the first time in 1997, is made possible through the generosity of a Charitable Trust established by the late Anna Storch Johansen of Falls Church, Virginia. Mrs. Johansen was a violinist and a Life Member of the Friday Morning Music Club. She wanted to encourage young musicians with significant prize awards at a time when they need it most and when they must make decisions about whether to continue with their dedication to music.
In addition to the prizes and opportunities listed below, winners receive 5 years of complimentary student membership in the Friday Morning Music Club.
Prizes and Awards
Equal prizes for violin, viola, and cello:
First prizes: $10,000 each
Second prizes: $7,000 each
Third prizes: $5,000 each
Prize for Best Performance of Commissioned Work: $1,000
Performance opportunities may include:
- Winners’ Recital, Washington, DC
- Concerto performances with Apollo Orchestra, Washington, DC; Avanti Orchestra, Washington, DC; Capital City Symphony, Washington, DC; Prince George’s Philharmonic, MD
- London Master Classes in London, England
- Scholarship to Brevard Music Festival
- Scholarship to Morningside Music Bridge
- Students of violin, viola, or cello, ages 13 through 18 years (birth dates of 17 March 2003 to 24 March 2009). Eligible contestants may not be younger than 13 or older than 18 on March 24, 2022. A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate or passport is required as proof of age.
- Applicants must not be under professional management.
- Too old? You may be eligible to compete in the Washington International Competition for Strings (ages 18–28). Click here for details.
Deadline and Important Dates
- December 1, 2021: Deadline for completing online application.
- January 2022: Preliminary video auditions held and selected semifinalists notified.
- 2022 Competition Dates: March 21–24
- FMMC Foundation, Inc., assumes no responsibility for actions of the applicants or escorts or injuries sustained by them during the course of the applicants’ stay in the Washington area, and assumes no responsibility in connection with the applicants’ participation in the Competition.
- All eligibility requirements must be met for participation in the competition.
- Decisions of the judges are final. Awards may be withheld at the discretion of the judges.
- All semifinalists and finalists must perform with the competition’s official pianists. No other pianists are permitted.
Harriet Kaplan, Administrative Director
Phone: (301) 825-5515
Michael Casassa, JIC Steering Committee Chair
To view repertoire requirements, please click on "Start an Application" and follow the prompts. Please visit our website here for more information about the history of the competition.
Download a flyer here!
Follow us on Facebook!
NOTE: The application fee is $130 US. Payment can be made by credit card, gift credit card, or in some cases, electronic transfer.