Start an Application
Narrow your Search
Welcome to Joffrey Academy's audition portal! Auditions are required for Joffrey Professional Training Programs, the Joffrey Pre-Professional Division, and the Academy's annual Summer Intensives.
The Academy encourages all students interested in joining its summer intensives and/or year-round programs to attend an audition during the annual Audition Tour. The Joffrey Academy also accepts video auditions from those who are unable to attend in-person auditions.Programs that require an audition include:
- Junior Summer Intensives (7+ on/before audition date)
- Advance Summer Intensive (12+ on/before audition date)
- Pre-Professional Division (12+ on/before audition date)
- Joffrey Conservatory (14+ on/before audition date)
- Joffrey Studio Company (17+ on/before audition date)
- Joffrey Ballet Trainee Program (17+ on/before audition date)
- Joffrey Contemporary Ballet Trainee Program (17+ on/before audition date)
In-Person and Summer Intensive auditions are open to all students ages 7 to 21+. Students should audition according to their age on the date of the audition, not the age they will be during the time of the summer program. See below for more details as well as how to audition by video if needed.
Pre-registered students must bring proof of full vaccination against COVID-19* to the audition. No additional materials will be needed. Online pre-registration will close the Sunday prior to each audition.
Note: If you are a student aged 12 and under and you live within 150 miles of the Joffrey Academy, you must attend the Summer Intensive Audition in person at Joffrey Tower. If you are unable to attend the audition at Joffrey Tower, you are required to arrange an in-person audition during which you will be observed in a Joffrey Academy class and considered for the Summer Intensive programs. Students aged 12 and under living further than 150 miles of the Joffrey Academy may submit a video audition.
Audition Attire - Option 1:
• Black camisole leotard, flesh-tone or pink tights, flesh-tone or pink ballet slippers (tights and slipper colors must match)
• Students who are already working on pointe must bring their pointe shoes in addition to their ballet slippers
• Hair pulled back in bun or ballet hairstyle
Audition Attire - Option 2:
• White fitted t-shirt, black tights with black ballet slippers, or gray tights with white ballet slippers
• Hair slicked or pulled back in ballet hairstyle
PLEASE NOTE - all in-person audition participants must wear a facial covering over their nose and mouth at all times, including check-in and for the duration of all classes and auditions.
Video auditions for the 2023 Summer Intensives and 2023-2024 year-round programs will be reviewed beginning January 1, 2023 (subject to change). Video auditions are accepted on an ongoing basis, as space permits. It is highly recommended that students submit video auditions by February 1, but there is a hard deadline of March 31, 2023 to submit all materials. Students who submit a video audition after February 1 may not receive a result before registration opens and programs fill. Result emails are typically sent to the email provided within 14 days once video and audition payment are received (note that due to the large amount of video auditions expected this season, results may be delayed).
Audition video must be no longer than 15 minutes in length and should include:
- Barre exercises (one side only)
- Center: Adage, Pirouette, Petite Allégro, and Grande Allégro
- Students auditioning for Studio Company or Ballet Trainee must include a classical variation from classical repertoire on pointe and a contemporary solo or improvisation.
- Students auditioning for Contemporary Ballet Trainee must include a contemporary solo and improvisation.
- Students ages 7–8 are only required to demonstrate combinations done in their regular ballet classes.
- Students auditioning for Summer Intensives only may include one solo in practice clothes if desired.
- The prospective student should be easily identifiable in the video. Videos should be as recent as possible.
Students will be accepted and placed into programs based on their video audition and solely at the discretion of the artistic staff. Acceptance and level are subject to change after the student's first in-person class.
*COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: The Joffrey Ballet has adopted a policy which requires all staff, faculty, and students/participants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to participate in events, programming, and activities at Joffrey Ballet properties or organized by The Joffrey Ballet. This includes auditions. Proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (including booster when eligible) is required at check-in.*
Please be advised that full vaccination occurs two weeks following a CDC-recommended course of vaccination. Booster eligibility as defined by the Centers for Disease Control can be found here, and calls for a booster shot approximately five months after completing a primary COVID-19 vaccination series.
Valid proof of vaccination includes valid photo ID (age 16+) and vaccination card, photo/copy of vaccination card, digital record or app, or printed record from vaccine provider.
MASK REQUIREMENT: Effective October 10, masking will no longer be required at Joffrey Tower. People may choose to mask at any time. Individual voluntary mask use is of course accepted and will be respected. Everyone should continue to monitor for symptoms and be diligent about testing as needed.