Start an Application
Narrow your Search
2022 SUMMER SCHOOL & FESTIVAL JUNE 13 - AUGUST 6, 2022
PROGRAMS OF STUDY:
- Instrumental (95 fellows) - Application Season Closed
- Solo Piano (6 fellows) - Application Season Closed
- Collaborative Piano (9 fellows) - Application Season Closed
- Vocal Institute
- Directing Fellow (1 fellow) - 2022 Application Season Closed
- Voice (20 fellows) - 2022 Application Season Closed
- Vocal Piano (5 fellows) - 2022 Application Season Closed
If you missed the 2022 Summer Festival application cycle, please go to GET ON THE LIST in order to learn more about applying to the 2023 Summer Festival!
NEW! AUDITION VIDEO ASSISTANCE: We will record your audition over Zoom and upload your video on your behalf. Simply select the Zoom audition recording in your application instead of submitting a self-uploaded audition recording and you will be able to schedule your time slot on Monday, February 14 for audition recording on February 16 & 17.
JUST ANNOUNCED: Applicants offered enrollment will be automatically entered into a raffle to win one of two $500 stipends to cover travel costs to and from sunny Santa Barbara.
FULL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM IN SANTA BARBARA, CA
The Music Academy of the West is among the world's preeminent summer programs for extraordinary classically-trained musicians ages 18-34, preparing them for a 21st century career and developing artists of impact. At its ocean-side campus in Santa Barbara, the Academy provides the opportunity for advanced study and frequent performance under the guidance of more than 50 internationally renowned teaching artists, guest conductors, and soloists. Enrolled fellows forge close connections with the community and enjoy dynamic opportunities to support both the on and off-stage experience. All just steps from the beach.
140 musicians are selected from a worldwide applicant pool and earn a coveted position as a fellow in our eight-week Summer School & Festival. All enrolled musicians attend on full-scholarship, including free tuition, accommodations, and meals.
The Music Academy Summer Festival is a highlight of the Southern California arts community, presenting 200 public events over eight weeks, and attended by over 40,000 audience members. The Music Academy proudly welcomes everyone from across all cultures and backgrounds to experience the transformative power of music.
Each fellow receives a wealth of opportunities for world-class training and individual instruction, collaborative music-making, abundant performances in front of sold-out audiences, the chance to compete for a cash prize and recital the following year, and personal growth through dynamic wellness and outreach programs. Through the Academy's Innovation Institute, fellows are also mentored in developing creative projects with the opportunity to win cash awards through entrepreneurship competitions.
CORE CURRICULUM PLUS TRAINING AND PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES:
- Weekly private lessons
- Weekly public masterclasses and/or studio classes
- Chamber music
- Solo Recitals
- String Quartet Seminar led by the Takacs Quartet
- String Leadership Program led by Glenn Dicterow
- Fully-staged opera, Eugene Onegin
- Vocal Institute semi-staged 2-week creative project curated by James Darrah
- Marilyn Horne Song Competition for Voice and Vocal Piano Fellows, including $5,000 cash prize and recital for winning singer and pianist
- Duo Competition for Instrumental and Collaborative Piano Fellows, including $5,000 cash prize and recital for winning duo
- Solo Piano Competition, including $5,000 cash prize and recital for winner
- National Orchestral Partnership including annual competition to participate in a week-long residency with that orchestra
- Wellness Program including exercise, yoga, counseling, and physical therapy resources
- Community Outreach & Engagement ("Compeer Program")
- Innovation Institute seminars with entrepreneurial industry leaders
- Career Development seminars
- Entrepreneurial Competitions, "Fast Pitch" and "Digital Challenge" including cash prizes and project mentorship
- Alumni Enterprise Awards
HOW TO APPLY:
For application and audition repertoire requirements, faculty & teaching artist roster, and details regarding the many training and performance opportunities in each program, please visit musicacademy.org/admissions.
APPLICATION DEADLINES: all deadlines at 11:59 PM Pacific
- Instrumental Program: February 13, 2022 (application season now closed)
- Solo Piano Program: February 13, 2022 (application season now closed)
- Collaborative Piano Program: January 15, 2022 (application season now closed)
- Voice and Vocal Piano Programs: November 1, 2021 (application season now closed)
- Vocal Institute Directing Fellow: December 15, 2021 (application season now closed)
- Instrumental & Solo Piano - Video Upload Audition (no live auditions)
*Instrumental Zoom Recorded Auditions Available Feb 16 & 17
- Collaborative Piano: Virtual Live Auditions (no in-person live auditions)
- Voice & Vocal Piano: Pre-screening Recording Round followed by Invitation-Only Virtual Live Round
- Vocal Institute Directing Fellow (NEW!): Prescreening Round followed by Virtual Live Interview
APPLICATION FEE: $50 (non-refundable)
Application fee assistance is available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
HEALTH & SAFETY
The Music Academy requires all administration, faculty, fellows, and other constituents on campus to provide proof of COVID vaccination.
For more information, email email@example.com or visit musicacademy.org/admissions
For technical questions, please visit the Acceptd Help Desk.