Start an Application
Narrow your Search
NSAL COLLABORATIVE PIANO AND STRINGS DUO COMPETITION
Mission: To celebrate piano-string collaboration and repertoire while identifying duos with the artistic and technical capacity to succeed professionally.
Competition sponsored by the NSAL Florida East Coast Chapter
PRELIMINARY VIDEO RECORDING DUE JANUARY 25, 2020
LIVE FINAL ROUND FEBRUARY 29, 2020
Amarnick/Goldstein Hall, Lynn University, Boca Raton, Florida
- First Prize - $2,000 each
- Second Prize - $1,000 each
- Third Prize - $500 each
- Open to duos of piano and strings including violin, viola, cello and double bass
- Contestants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program of study in the state of Florida where they are a legal resident and have a U.S. Social Security number. Proof is required with the competition application.
- Contestants must not be a member of a professional union nor be under professional management at the time of the competition. Contestants must not be related to an NSAL member having any involvement in the competition.
- Duo personnel must remain the same for both rounds.
- No changes to the repertoire to be performed can be made after the preliminary application is submitted.
- Competitors may only enter once as a member of one duo. This is necessary in order to avoid individuals competing against themselves in the final round.
- Applicants must complete the Accepted application by January 25, 2020.
- Application fee: $50.00 Make checks payable to NSAL.
- Preliminary round video recording must consist of:
- A complete sonata or major work from repertoire written for a string instrument and piano (no transcriptions or concerti). Selection must be greater than 10 minutes in length.
- A concert/show piece/character piece lasting no longer than five minutes (transcriptions permitted)
- Finalists will be notified via email by January 30, 2020
- Finalists must perform the same program submitted for the preliminary round.
- Judges are not obligated to designate a first place winner if, in their opinion, no contestant qualifies.
- Judge’s score sheets may include comments on the performances. Score sheets may be sent to the contestants following conclusion of the competition at the discretion of the judges.
Local Competition Chairperson: Lisa Leonard