Start an Application
Narrow your Search
The 2022 Olga Kern International Piano Competition will be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, from October 23– 30 2022. The Competition is open to pianists of all nationalities who will be between the ages of 18 and 32 on October 30, 2022. Participation in the Competition is conditional on a candidate submitting the required documents and recordings (See “Video Recording Requirements” below) by May 2, 2022.
APPLICATION FEE: $180, plus a $30 application fee for a total of $210 (if submitted by 11:59 pm, EST, May 2, 2022)
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Submitted materials will not be returned. Candidates’ documents and recordings will be assessed by the Screening Jury. The Screening Jury will admit 20–24 contestants to compete in the First Round held virtually and streamed June 30 – July 3, 2022. The list of 8-10 candidates invited to the live rounds of the competition taking place in Albuquerque October 23-30, 2022, will be announced made public by July 6, 2022.
AUDITION VIDEO RECORDING REQUIREMENTS
An unedited recording of the applicant must be submitted to the Piano Competition Office as follows:
- The recording must be of excellent technical quality and preferably recorded professionally.
- The applicant’s face and hands must be clearly visible throughout the recording.
- The recording must be made within 12 months of the submission of the application.
- Minimum duration is 40 minutes. Maximum duration is 50 minutes.
- Only solo piano works will be accepted.
- The recording must be unedited. Post-production handling that affects the acoustic quality of the recording (such as bias, equalization and noise reduction) is permitted but must be stated.
- The recording must be clearly and visibly labeled showing the applicant’s full name and the details of where and when it was made.
- You may include recordings from public performances or a recording studio.
- Each individual work must be recorded in one unedited take.
- The works, however, may have been recorded on different dates.
- Do not include titles, fade-outs, or video transitions.
- One Bach Prelude and Fugue from the 1st or 2nd Well-Tempered Clavier
- One etude from the following: Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin
- One of the sonatas by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven
- One piece of the Contestant's Choice
Each composition should be performed in full. No individual movements will be permitted.