Start an Application
Narrow your Search
Welcome to apply for Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition 2020!
In light of concerns about the COVID-19 epidemic, after much deliberation, the 2020 Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition (SISIVC) has been rescheduled to 2021. The health and safety of the participants, jury members, staff, and audience are the highest priority of the SISIVC Organisation Comittee, and the difficulties connected to the epidemic do not allow us to guarantee a secure competition in the previously planned timeframe. We believe it would be best to reschedule in order to ensure the competition takes place under the best possible circumstances.
This year marks Isaac Stern’s 100th birthday, and for this reason we have decided that although the new competition dates will be in 2021, it will still be titled the “2020 SISIVC ” to commemorate Stern’s centenary. Isaac Stern’s belief in music obliges us to respect his commitment to excellence, and any attempt to hold the event under duress would not uphold his standards. We are all currently under attack by this world pandemic, and we must remember that while a society without culture can survive, a society with culture elevates us.
Online Application Deadline: 23:59 GMT+8, 20 January 2020 (Online application must be finished before video uploading by this date and time)
*Once the online application is submitted, the organization committee will not accept any modifications to the application, including but not limited to: the selected programme of each competition section and piano accompanist decisions.
Pre-selection Video Acceptance Reopening:
Reopening Date and Deadline:
Submission channel reopens: 12:00 (noon), December 15th, 2020 (Beijing Time)
Video submission deadline: 12:00 (noon), January 31st, 2021 (Beijing Time)
- Pre-selection Video Submission and Replacement Qualifications
- The effectiveness of all the submitted online applications remains valid.
- The Competition will not accept new applications.
- For those who have already submitted an application, the Competition is open to all nationalities, now between the ages of 16 and 33. Contestants born after 2003 must be accompanied by a guardian for the whole competition period in Shanghai.
Application fee: The application fee is US$ 100 per applicant and is non-refundable under any circumstance.
*Before you begin preparing your application, we encourage you to review the Application Regulation (.pdf), which contains detailed information regarding the Competition's application process.
- Applicants must complete the online application by 23:59 GMT+8, 20 January 2020, and the pre-selection video must be uploaded by the date to be announced by August 2020.
- Applicants who have been awarded the 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize in the following three competitions are entitled the right to apply for exemption from uploading the pre-selection. A copy of the award certificate is required in the online application.
- The International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition
- The International Tchaikovsky Competition
- The Queen Elisabeth Music Competition
- Upload Pre-selection Video
- The place and date of recording of each pre-selection work must be mentioned in the file’s name in the format of [Piece of Pre-selection Work + Recording Place + Recording Date ]. High-resolution videos are recommended.
- The contestant must be fully visible at all times on the screen; the camera angle must be fixed and the microphones should be positioned at a good distance from the musicians.
- It is suggested that the recordings have taken place within one year of the submission date. Contestants could be using sheet music in the video.
- The competition has three public rounds. Contestants perform at these in the order established by the drawing of lots. The number of contestants who will be admitted to each round will be the following:
- Pre-selection Round: No limit
- Quarter-Final Round: Up to 36
- Semi-Final Round: Up to half of the contestants in the Quarter-Final Round
- Final Round: 6
- The contestants should clarify if there is any immediate family (up to the fourth degree of kinship) or pupil relationship with any jury member upon arrival. "Pupil" is defined as a contestant who has had three or more lessons with the jury member in question in the 6 months prior to the on-site registration date.
- The Competition will provide travel reimbursement for airfare/train ticket (economy only) to each contestant admitted to the public rounds of the Competition ($1000 USD at maximum). Contestants must provide a valid invoice and tickets to apply for reimbursement.
- (Note: The reimbursement will be made only for round-trip ticket to Shanghai up to one week before and after the competition. For contestants who need to travel through other destinations, the ticket must be interlining. The Competition will not provide a travel allowance for guardians, escorts or contestants who live in Shanghai.)
- Complimentary accommodations will only be provided to those contestants admitted to the public rounds of the Competition.
- The Competition will provide each contestant a designated piano accompanist. Contestants are also allowed to bring a personal accompanist and must indicate it in the online application form. Complimentary accommodations will be provided to the contestants’ personal pianists.
Contact us：If you have any questions about the application, please email us at email@example.com.
考虑到新型冠状病毒肺炎疫情的全球形势，上海艾萨克·斯特恩国际小提琴比赛组织委员会(以下简称“比赛组委会”)为配合做好疫情防控工作，本着对参赛选手、评委、观众 以及工作人员的健康和安全高度负责的态度，经慎重讨论，现决定将原定赛事(2020 年 8 月 4 日至 8 月 25 日)延期至 2021 年举行。
今年恰逢艾萨克·斯特恩大师诞辰百年，为追忆大师践行音乐信仰的一生，致敬并传承 大师的音乐精神，2021 年赛事将维持原定名称——2020 上海艾萨克·斯特恩国际小提琴比赛。
视频上传通道开放: 2020 年 12 月 15 日 12:00(北京时间)
视频上传截止时间: 2021 年 1 月 31 日 12:00(北京时间)
此次开放的预选视频上传通道，仅有效于在本届比赛在线申请截止时间(北京时间 2020年 1 月 20 日 23:59)前完成报名提交的选手。
参赛年龄相应调整为 16 至 33 周岁(2021 年)。于 2003 年后出生的选手需有监护
- 预选视频的文件名必须包含各作品的摄制地点和日期，并按照【作品名+ 摄制地+ 摄制日期】的格式命名。建议上传高分辨率视频。
- 预选: 不限制人数
- 四分之一决赛: 至多36人
- 半决赛: 至多为四分之一决赛实际参赛人数的一半
- 决赛: 6人