Begin a Submission
Narrow your Search
The Songbook Academy® is a transformative summer music intensive that immerses high school singers in America’s musical heritage and fosters artistic identity through song.
Program Dates: July 13 – 20, 2024
Location: Carmel, Indiana
Application open: November 15, 2023 – March 24, 2024
At the Songbook Academy®, we believe that every young singer has a unique story to tell through music. The program is designed for high school students with a passion for singing who want to hone their vocal and performance skills with an emphasis on interpretation. Through access to top tier mentors and a focus on the Great American Songbook as a critical foundation for any career in music, we provide a safe space for young singers to explore musical styles, grow in their individual artistry, and take risks in a supportive pre-professional environment.
- Experience personalized mentorship from industry pros
- Perform on a state-of-the-art concert stage
- Develop a strong foundation in American popular music
- Build lifelong connections in an inclusive musical environment
- Boost your confidence as a singer and storyteller
“I’ve done a lot of masterclasses over the years and I am very, very impressed with this program.” – Ashley Park, Past Guest Mentor (Netflix’s Emily in Paris, Broadway’s Mean Girls)
“Unparalleled, unmatched. The best musical formative experience that you may have the privilege to attend as a high schooler.” – Alex Kim, 2022-2023 alumnus (Laguna Niguel, California)
HOW TO APPLY
- Step 1: Open a Songbook Academy application by clicking “Begin a Submission” and selecting Summer Music Intensive. You can save your progress and exit at any time.
- Step 2: Fill out a brief form asking for student/family contact information and basic demographic info.
- Step 3: Upload a recent color photo (or headshot) and your audition videos. Applicants should submit two contrasting songs from the Great American Songbook written between the 1920s and 1960s. Learn more about repertoire and recording requirements.
- Step 4: If eligible, request a fee waiver and/or financial aid. Learn more about financial aid opportunities.
- Step 5: Review your application, pay the application fee of $50 (unless waived) and submit.
“I have grown so much not only as a singer… but as a storyteller. I learned how to share a story that represents me as an individual, while still honoring the music of that time.” – Edin Kebede (’21-’23), Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
SCHOLARSHIPS & FINANCIAL AID
For students who qualify for any federal free or reduced meal program, the supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP) and/or a College Board SAT/ACT fee waiver, please send documentation confirming eligibility to SongbookAcademy@TheSongbook.org to be considered for an application and a full program fee waiver (upon acceptance to the program). Please make sure to allow 24-48 hours for a response to any fee waiver inquiries. If approved, you will receive a fee waiver code to bypass payment.
If you cannot provide one of these forms of documentation, we cannot necessarily guarantee support, but will consider written requests (via email) from a parent, teacher or guidance counselor detailing your need for financial assistance. Learn more about financial aid opportunities.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us directly through Acceptd if you have any program-related questions or concerns
- For technical questions, please check out our Acceptd Applicant Support Help Desk.