Start an Application
Narrow your Search
Stand out with a summer music program as unique as YOU!
2023 PROGRAM DATES: JULY 15-22, 2023
Application fee: $80 | Program fee: $900
APPLICATION OPEN: DEC. 5, 2022 - MAR. 26, 2023*
*Early Bird Deadline: Feb. 26, 2023 (apply early for $30 off application fee)
Visit TheSongbook.org/SongbookAcademy to learn more.
The Songbook Academy® is a national summer music intensive hosted annually in Carmel, Indiana that provides pre-professional training for high school students who love to sing! Whether you prefer classic Broadway hits or jazz standards, there is music here for everyone.
Forty students will be selected to work with music industry pros, award-winning singers and performers, educators from top university music and theater programs, and talented peers from across the country for a life-changing week of training and performance opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit video recordings of two contrasting selections from the Great American Songbook (learn more about repertoire).
- All Songbook Academy applicants receive written feedback from a national panel of screeners who assess their performances!
SCHOLARSHIPS & FINANCIAL AID
For students who qualify for any government free or reduced meal program and/or the College Board SAT/ACT fee waiver, please apply for an application fee waiver through Acceptd and make sure to allow 24 - 48 hours for a response to any fee waiver inquiries.
To learn more about full program scholarships awarded once a student is accepted to the program, please explore our FAQ for "Financial Assistance" information or email our staff for further details.
WHY APPLY FOR THE SONGBOOK ACADEMY®?TO LEARN
Learn in workshops and master classes with world-class mentors on topics including vocal technique and vocal health; lyrics and phrasing; song interpretation; stage presence; improvisation; Songbook 101; auditioning for college arts programs; and more.
Past guest mentors have included:
- Tony, Emmy, and GRAMMY Award-winning artists
- Broadway veterans from shows like Hamilton, Mean Girls, and Wicked
- Jazz vocalists from groups like Postmodern Jukebox, The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, and The Manhattan Transfer
- Educators from the country's top collegiate performing arts programs like University of Michigan, Boston Conservatory, and Oberlin College and Conservatory
Perform on the stage of the Palladium, an acoustically perfect, state-of-the-art venue. Enjoy multiple opportunities to perform for sold-out audiences during the Songbook Academy week and beyond.
Meet other young artists who share your passion for performing. Build a network of professional and university contacts. Join the Songbook Academy alumni network to stay connected to your Songbook peers and mentors and receive opportunities to learn about college programs; auditions; arts programs; scholarship information; access to a professional network of contacts; and invitations to participate in regional Songbook events.
Check out our alums making recent waves in the recording studio, on stage and screen:
- Morgan Taylor (2019) on this season of NBC's The Voice
- Eleri Ward (2012) kicks off solo tour after wrapping national tour with Josh Groban
- Nina White (2016) makes her Broadway debut in Kimberly Akimbo
- Maddie Baillio (2014) makes Birdland solo debut after starring in NBC's Hairspray Live, Dumplin' (Netflix), Cinderella (Amazon Prime)
- Anaïs Reno's (2018) debut album reaches No. 6 on the jazz charts
- Merissa Beddows (2014) on this season of America's Got Talent
The Great American Songbook Foundation, founded by two-time Emmy and five-time Grammy Award-nominated performer Michael Feinstein, is a 501 (c)(3) Grammy Museum Cultural Affiliate with a mission to inspire and educate by celebrating the music of the Great American Songbook. Now in its fourteenth year, the Songbook Academy® is the Foundation’s signature educational program.
- Please email email@example.com or message us directly through Acceptd if you have any program-related questions or concerns
- For technical questions, please check out our Acceptd Applicant Support Help Desk.