Start an Application
Narrow your Search
APPLICATIONS OPEN JANUARY 17TH at 12:00PM NOON
Applications for the 2023–24 academic year are now open.
The Phil and Eli Taylor Performance Academy for Young Artists is a comprehensive performance program committed to developing performance skills, musicianship, and excellence in talented classical music students who wish to seriously follow and develop their musical gifts. After a competitive audition and interview, students who are accepted will be registered for courses suitable to their individual programs.
- Junior Academy (ages 13 and below) welcomes applicants in the disciplines of Strings and Piano.
- Senior Academy (ages 14 and above) welcomes applicants in the disciplines of Strings, Piano, Voice, Woodwinds, and Guitar.
- Prospective applicants in other disciplines should contact the Academy at email@example.com to discuss a possible application.
Application Fees & Deadlines
All prospective students are required to submit a non-refundable application fee with their application forms:
- Submitted between January 17–March 16: $150
- Submitted between March 17–April 3: $200
- Late applications after April 3 will be accepted at the discretion of the administration, and are subject to an additional charge.
Acceptance to The Taylor Academy is very competitive: jurors look for outstanding musical talent and an exceptional level of technical proficiency for an applicant’s age group, as well as a strong commitment to learn and excel. The Taylor Academy does not designate specific prerequisites in terms of RCM practical grade levels; applicants should choose repertoire that best reflects their skill and areas of strength.
Interested students are encouraged to view Academy performances and master classes to better assess the level of proficiency of Academy students. Our Master Class & Performances webpage is updated with current public information. When events are not available to the public, or for those based far from the Toronto area, we encourage applicants to view videos on our YouTube page and/or note Academy participants in local competitions. If you would like to view a master class to help further assess our students' level, please contact us at 416-408-2824 ext. 271 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Audition Information
For audition repertoire requirements, see the Repertoire section of our Audition webpage.
Auditions will be held from May 8–12, 2023. Auditions will be held live in Toronto at the RCM. Exact dates and times will be directly communicated to the applicant approximately one month before the scheduled audition. Following are guidelines for live auditions—any necessary adjusted parameters will be communicated as we announce audition schedules.
- Applicants must state any time or date conflicts in application. Schedule accommodation is not guaranteed.
- Applicants are responsible for bringing an accompanist, if required for their repertoire.
- Applicants should arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled audition time. A warm-up room will be provided 20 minutes before the audition.
- Audition time slots are 15 minutes (20 for Senior Piano); total audition repertoire may be longer than 15 minutes in duration, however jury panelists may request to stop performances at any time.
- Applicants must supply a copy of the music for the jury panel.
- Applicants must have audition pieces memorized, except for instrumental duos that are considered to be chamber works.
- Parents/guardians and teachers are not allowed to accompany applicants into the audition room, but should stay nearby should they be called in.
All piano applicants are required to upload videos with their application for pre-screening. Videos will be reviewed by a jury, and selected applicants will be invited to audition in person at The Royal Conservatory. Results of the pre-screening video will be sent by mid-April.
- Video does not need to be professionally recorded, however sound and picture quality should be clear and steady. Jurors reserve the right to refuse poor quality videos.
- The video must provide a clear view of the student’s hands, keyboard, and face (profile okay).
- Pianists should perform repertoire per the requirements listed in the Repertoire section of our Audition webpage. Repertoire for the in-person audition can (but is not required to) be the same as the video audition repertoire.
TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
The Royal Conservatory is an independent not-for-profit institution. Academy tuition fees are not subsidized by any level of government. However, through the generous support of many private individuals and foundations, financial support is offered to any student accepted into The Taylor Academy, reducing the maximum payable tuition as per the chart below.
Tuition Fees for 2023–24 (subject to change)
Junior Program (ages 8–13)
Program Cost: $12,500
Base Scholarship: $7,005
Payable Tuition: $5,495
Senior Program (ages 14+)
Program Cost: $12,500
Base Scholarship: $6,780
Payable Tuition: $5,720
- An annual library fee of $100 is charged to each enrolled student in addition to tuition fees.
- Returning students must submit a non-refundable re-application fee of $125 for re-audition each year.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Limited additional financial tuition support is available and awarded based on merit and need. Financial aid forms will be provided after a student has been accepted into the program.
For technical questions, please visit the Acceptd Help Desk.