Texas Music Festival The Informed Flutist
Start a Registration Form
Narrow your Search
The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® invites interested participants to register for The Informed Flutist at the University of Houston Moores School of Music.
The Informed Flutist is a five-day masterclass for aspiring orchestral players, young professionals, and advanced high school flutists and takes place June 21 – 25, 2019.
Led by Aralee Dorough, Principal Flutist of the Houston Symphony and Affiliate Artist at the University of Houston, this year’s program focuses on building “the 20 essential skills” needed by the professional flutist. Flutists receive coaching in solo repertoire and orchestral repertoire in a masterclass setting and participate in workshops and flute circles.
Katherine Ladner, Piccoloist with the Houston Symphony, will give masterclasses on orchestral excerpts for the piccolo and a workshop on how to set up a piccolo practice routine.
The closing session of the class is held on the stage of the Moores Opera House and provides a chance for performers to experience the acoustics of a large concert hall and test the quality of their sound projection and clarity of articulation.
- Aralee Dorough, Principal Flutist of the Houston Symphony
- Katherine Ladner, Piccolo, The Houston Symphony
- Performer: $520. Includes performance in two solo masterclass, one mock audition, and daily group workshops.
- Auditor: $220. Note: Auditors attend masterclasses, mock audition, and workshops and are welcome to participate in group exercises and flute circles.
- Performer: Minimum level - High School. Performers must also submit a short video or audio sample which represents your current level of playing. (between four and eight minutes long). This will assist Ms. Dorough and Ms. Ladner in planning purposes and in the event the class fills up.
- NOTE: sample of current level of playing is NOT required for previous Informed Flutist participants or current Moores School of Music students.
- Auditor: Open to flutists of all ages. No sample of playing required.
- A parent or teacher of a registered participant may attend class sessions free of charge.
Registration Deadline: EXTENDED TO MAY 20, 2019
More Information & Contact