Start an Application
Narrow your Search
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 14, 2023
Building Your Craft: From Studio to Stage, May 29-June 16, 2023
The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® invites applications for its Vocal Institute: Building Your Craft: From Studio to Stage, at the University of Houston Moores School of Music. This intensive program for college freshmen, sophomore, and junior vocal students builds a foundation in stagecraft through classes in acting and dramatic interpretation, language and diction, solo and ensemble coaching, stage movement, dance, and body awareness. Led by a stellar faculty with years of international experience, participants prepare and stage scenes from opera and operetta for public performance.
Daily Classes and Sessions (up to 35 hours per week) include:
- Dance and Movement for the Stage
- Techniques in dramatic interpretation and theatrical presentation
- Diction and Language
- Daily individual and ensemble coaching
- Staging of scenes
- Lectures (Vocal Health, Collaboration: You and the Pianist, Performance Anxiety, Learning Orientations)
- Individual voice lessons will be available for participants. (Lessons are voluntary and offered with the approval of the individual’s voice teacher.)
- Performance(s) of opera/operetta scenes. Final performance is Friday, June 16, 7:30 p.m.
- Limited enrollment, generous tuition fellowships.
- Zachary Averyt *
- Richard Bado, Houston Grand Opera
- Debra Dickinson, acting
- Lauren Pastorek, movement
- Melanie Sonnenberg,* institute director
- Hector Vázquez *
* Moores School of Music faculty
Fees (all fees are non-refundable):
- Application Fee: $80 (due with application)
- Registration Fee: $1500
- Optional Room and Board Fees:
- Room and meals: $1460 (UH Cougar Village I—double room/two-room suite, shared bath, kitchen, and laundry. Three meals daily in UH cafeteria.) Must be requested no later than April 11, 2023.
- Optional Parking Pass: $35 (Vehicles must be registered in advance through UH Parking directly. Parking information will be sent to all participants by the TMF office.)
- Participants who chose to live off-campus are responsible for their own housing/meals and must have reliable transportation.
Important Institute Dates:
- Arrival/Housing Check-In (if staying on-campus): Sunday, May 28 AFTER 12 noon AND BEFORE 5 p.m. at UH Cougar Village I, located on the University of Houston campus at 4385 Cougar Village Dr., Houston, TX 77004. (Housing is NOT available before May 28 - please plan your arrival in Houston accordingly). Participants are responsible for transportation to Houston and also to the UH campus – airport transportation is not provided.
- Institute Start Date: Monday, May 29
Registration: Afternoon, Time TBD, Moores School of Music, Room 108
- Final Concert/Institute End Date: Friday, June 16, 7:30 p.m., Dudley Recital Hall
- Dorm Check-out: Saturday, June 17 by 12 p.m. Participants are responsible for own transportation.
- Recorded Audition/Application Deadline: April 14, 2023
- Acceptance Deadline: April 21, 2023
- This includes your completed Acceptance Reply form, your $1500 Registration Fee payment, and the optional Room and Meals ($1460) Fee payment, all submitted through Acceptd.
For more institute information:
Melanie Sonnenberg, director msonnenb@Central.UH.EDU
TMF Covid 19 Health and Safety Statement: The health and safety of all students, faculty, and on-campus guests are our primary concern. We continually monitor the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic, following all university, city, and state guidelines. Current UH protocols are HERE.
For technical questions, please visit the Acceptd Help Desk.