U-M Jazz Ambassadors Summer Intensive
Start an Application
Narrow your Search
The U-M Jazz Ambassadors is a highly selective jazz combo program that allows a septet of Michigan’s finest high school jazz players to work intensively with University of Michigan jazz faculty and a special guest artist/clinician.
The Ambassadors is open to current 10-11 grade students. The application process must be initiated by a music teacher or band director’s recommendation before a student may apply. Only one student on each instrument (saxophone, trumpet, trombone, guitar, piano, bass and drums) will be admitted. Other instruments may be considered on a case-by-case basis, but space is limited to 7 students total.
2023 Jazz Ambassador Summer Intensive Dates: June 25 - July 30, 2023
U-M Faculty Director - Professor Ellen Rowe
- Jazz Theory and Aural Skills
- Jazz Keyboard Skills
- Small Group Performance
- Rhythm Section Skills
- Applied Instrumental Training
- Rhythmic Training
- Band Director or Music Teacher Recommendation
- Audition Video
- Bio outlining previous performance experience
Upload a video audition with the requested information below. You may upload more than one video, as needed.
Note: Audition requirements for your specific instrument are listed below.
Jazz Ambassadors Audition Requirements
All auditions must be performed with other musicians or a play-along track.
1. Medium tempo blues tune of applicant's choice, in any key. Head, 4 choruses of improvisation and head out.
- Pianists/Guitarists – play the melody, comp two choruses, solo for 3
- Bassists – play melody if possible, walk two choruses and solo for 3
- Drummers – start with brushes for 2 choruses, switch to sticks for 2 and trade fours for 4 choruses. If performing with a play along, solo for four bars and play time for four for the four choruses.
- Pianists/Guitarists – play the first half of the melody of the tune and comp chords for the second half. Play one chorus of improvised solo
- Bassists – play half the melody (arco if possible), play time for the second half, take one chorus of improvised solo
- Drummers – play one half of one chorus of time with brushes and the second half with sticks
- Pianists/Guitarists – play the melody, comp one chorus, solo for two
- Bassists – play melody if possible, walk or play bass groove for one chorus, solo for two
- Drummers – play time for two choruses and either trade fours or eights, unless tune has odd length phrases in which case play an entire chorus of solo
- Upload one color headshot
- Headshots do not have to be professionally taken, but should be clear and recent.
- Headshots should be front-facing, as they will be used for ID purposes.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com!