Start an Application
Narrow your Search
You can apply for an audition prior to application to the College of Liberal Arts. You do not need a final admissions decision prior to your audition. You must be accepted to the University in order to attend the BFA Program.
U of MN Admissions Deadlines:
- Early Action Admission to the University: November 1, 2022
- Standard Admission to the University: December 1, 2022
- January 1, 2023- FINAL deadline for University acceptance (You may still submit an application after January 1 - however, you could be placed on a waitlist for admissions into the College of Liberal Art
- Admission to the BFA Program will be determined after our Call Back weekend in February.
Click here for more information.
The University of Minnesota offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in acting. Our innovative curriculum combines outstanding academics from the University of Minnesota with the artistic vision of the Twin Cities professional theaters.
You’ll receive incredible actor training within a full liberal arts curriculum and enjoy professional exposure a multitude of professional theaters in the vibrant Twin Cities area.
Enrollment is limited to 16-22 actors each year. We’re looking for exceptional students who are serious about acting and have curiosity and passion for learning. Throughout the audition process, we are looking for a particular kind of student: raw talent rather than slick polish. We are looking for passion. Students with a love of literature and history, rather than dreams of fame and fortune. A sense of humor. A willingness to take risks. A willingness to fail.
- STUDY ABROAD IN LONDON: Fall semester of the Junior year includes: Workshops with the Royal Shakespeare Company, Globe Theatre, Synergy Theatre and the CAPA Center in London.
- Current and former students regularly cast in Guthrie Productions, productions across the Twin Cities, NYC, Chicago and more.
- Minneapolis/St. Paul: Top ten best cities in the country. Exciting arts scene. Major league sports. Beautiful lakes and parks. Over 60 theatre companies.
- University of Minnesota: Big Ten. Academic prestige. Renowned faculty.
BFA Alumni Credits:
Theatre: Guthrie Theater, Broadway, Goodman Theater, LaJolla Playhouse, Mark Taper Forum, Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Playwrights Horizons, Denver Center Theater Company, Roundabout Theatre, Public Theater, Chicago Shakespeare, Steppenwolf, Hudson Valley Shakespeare, Berkeley Rep, The Children’s Theatre Company, The Acting Company, The Pearl Theatre, Riverside Theatre, Humana Festival, Atlantic Theater Company, Lookingglass Theater, Geva Theatre, Barrow St. Theater, Syracuse Stage, Montana Shakespeare Festival, San Jose Rep, Utah Shakespeare Festival, Georga Shakespeare, Theatre for a New Audience, Mint Theatre (NY), The Shakespeare Theatre (D.C.) Chautauqa Theater Company, August Wilson Theater, Penumbra Theater
Television: American Rust, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Jack Ryan, The Boys, You're the Worst, Newsroom, Carrie Diaries, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Blue Bloods, Brothers and Sisters, Law and Order, ER, Law and Order SVU, Life, Mercy, Boardwalk Empire, Nurse Jackie, Miami Medical, Traffic Lights, The Good Wife, Chicago Code, Royal Pains, Mozart In the Jungle, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Shades of Blue, American Dad, Easy, Rosewood, When Calls the Heart, Fosse/Verdon, Motherland: Fort Salem, The Flash, Van Helsing
Film: My Woman, Frozen, Deception, The Wolf of Wall Street, Still on the Road, Fade to White, Nobody-The Comedy, Sebastian, The Last Pack, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Sisters, Impossible Monsters, Village People, Mary Goes Round
The Application and Submission Period is now open:
Step 1 -Audition Video - . If an extension is needed please contact Deb @ Pears496@umn.edu.
All prospective students are required to complete a video audition as well as scheduling an in person audition. You must register with Acceptd to begin your application. From there, upload your initial video, headshot, and resume and pay the $90.00 audition fee.*
Upon completion of your Acceptd application, you must also apply to the University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts. Apply online here, or call 1-800-752-1000. YOU MUST HAVE COMPLETED YOUR APPLICATION TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA PRIOR TO THE FINAL ADMISSIONS DEADLINE.
THE U of MN Early Action deadline for the College of Liberal Arts is November NOVEMBER 1, 2022. The Standard Deadline is December 1, 2022. Applications will still be accepted after January 1, though it is possible that students with late applications could be wait-listed by the University.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
What to prepare for your Audition:
We ask that you prepare and present two monologues. Your combined pieces should equal THREE MINUTES TOTAL. Please keep within the time limit! Your slate is not included in your time. Please state your name, city, title of the play, and the role.
For the two monologues:
- Select from written, produced plays. Please do not choose material from films, television, or original and/or self-written scripts.
- One of your pieces should feature “Heightened text” (Examples are Shakespeare, Wole Soyinka, Moliere, Pedro Calderón de la Barca, Ntozake Shange, Oscar Wilde, Sophocles etc.) By heightened text, we mean text that has elements, often poetic, that lift it beyond everyday speech.
- You may choose a character of any gender identification.
You will be notified after January 5 about call backs.
If you register after the December video deadline date you can still submit a video.
For guideline and requirement questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical questions, please check out our Help Desk for frequently asked questions.