Narrow your Search
Welcome to the School of Music at Western Carolina University!
The School of Music serves as a primary advocate for the arts in Western North Carolina and as a source of musical culture and education for the region through performances, clinics, workshops, festivals, and consultant work. Our commitment to excellence of scholarly and creative activity in music performance, pedagogy, research, and composition prepares students for the professional world. A highly active performance agenda both on and off campus provides students with many opportunities to use their musical training in direct service to the local and regional community.
WCU Scholarship Application Information
As a music student at WCU, you'll major in one of five areas:
- MUSIC EDUCATION: provides students with the training necessary to be successful music educators in the private or public school system. The music education program is jointly administered with the College of Education and Allied Professions.
- COMMERCIAL MUSIC AND AUDIO PRODUCTION: combines additional semesters of individual lessons with courses in music technology, industry studies, recording arts, film and video, and MIDI/Synthesis. Students gain hands-on experience in WCU’s state-of-the-art recording studio.
- MUSIC PERFORMANCE: focuses on individual instruction to train students for careers as performing artists.
Bachelor of Arts in Music (BA)
- GENERAL STUDIES IN MUSIC: designed for students who have broad interests in music and other academic disciplines.
- MUSIC INDUSTRY OPTION: for students who are interested in a career in the music business.
The NC Promise program provided by the State of North Carolina reduces all in-state tuition to $500.00 per semester and out-of-state tuition to $2,500.00 per semester. This program only applies to tuition; housing and other fees still apply. Nonetheless, the School of Music at WCU provides education of the highest quality at a competitive price. You can find information on tuition and fees at https://www.wcu.edu/apply/tuition-and-fees/
To apply for admission to Western Carolina University, you must complete the application on-line at https://www.wcu.edu/apply/undergraduate-admissions/apply.aspx
By selecting a program in the upper left-hand corner of this screen, you can find information on instrumental auditions. While you do not need to be admitted to WCU before auditioning, you will not be considered for a music scholarship unless you have been admitted to the university.
For technical questions, please visit the Acceptd Help Desk.