Washington International Competition
Narrow your Search
Celebrating its 75th Year
The 2024 Annual Washington International Competition for Piano
Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
The Friday Morning Music Club Foundation is pleased to announce that the 2024 Washington International Competition (WIC) for Piano is underway. Between September 15, 2023, and February 15, 2024, we will be accepting applications from young artists around the world, ages 18 to 30 (as of the date of the competition), to compete in the Preliminary Round of the competition. The preliminary jury will review submissions and select sixteen semifinalists, who will be invited to perform live before a distinguished panel of internationally renowned jurors in the semifinal round on May 25, 2024. We welcome you and encourage you to read thoroughly and follow the competition guidelines and instructions carefully.
Preliminary Round results will be announced in March 2024. Semifinals will take place at George Washington University in the Phillips Hall (basement level) at 801 22nd Street, NW, on Saturday, May 25, 2024, starting at 9:00 am.
Finals will take place on Sunday, May 26, 2024, at 2:00 pm in the Terrace Theater of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
- For repertoire and general questions, please contact Competition Chair Simon Finlow or Assistant Chair Yuri Chayama at email@example.com.
For technical questions, please visit the Acceptd Help Desk.
Please visit our website here for more information.
Competition History and Purpose
The Washington International Competition (WIC) was established in 1950 to support outstanding young classical musicians in their pursuit of professional careers. The WIC occurs in a three-year rotation for piano, strings, and voice. As of 1976, a competition for composition of a chamber work for 3 to 5 players – string trio, string quartet, piano trio, piano quartet, or piano quintet – is also held concurrently with the strings competition.
Semifinal and Final Round Judges for 2024
- John O'Conor
- Olga Kern
- Santiago Rodriguez
- First prize: $10,000
- Second prize: $5,000
- Third prize: $3,000
- Three Finalists Awards: $1,000
- Audience prize: $1,000
Performance opportunities in Washington DC include a solo recital at the Terrace Theater of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (Alice Nagle Fund) and a solo appearance with the FMMC Avanti Orchestra.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 (as of May 25, 2024, the date of the competition).
- Proof of age will be required.
- Applicants must not be under professional management.
- Previous first-prize winners of the competition may not apply.
- Current students of any of the judges may not apply.
Application Fee: $125 – this fee is non-refundable.
Housing and Transportation
- The WIC provides local housing for all semi-finalists.
- Local transportation and meals are also offered at the convenience of hosts.
- Housing is available for all semifinalists from May 24 - May 27.
Applications will be accepted from September 15, 2023 - February 15, 2024.
Deadline for preliminary round applications is February 15, 2024, by 11:59 pm EST.
* RECOMMENDED BROWSER: GOOGLE CHROME
- J.S. Bach: Any work. (Pieces with multiple sections or movements must be prepared in their entirety.)
- An entire Classical Sonata of one of the following composers: Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven (excluding Op. 49), or Schubert.
- A major work from the Romantic Period.
- A substantial work from the 20th or 21st century.
- A piece of the contestant’s choice not to exceed 10 minutes.
- Applicants should be prepared to perform all submitted repertoire for the semifinal and final rounds.
- All music must be performed from memory.
- The submitted repertoire program should be a minimum of 60 minutes.
All applicants must submit a video of up to 35 minutes. The music for the video must be chosen from your required repertoire selections. The music selected for the video should present a representative sample of your playing.
A list of format and other video instructions can be found on Acceptd's HelpDesk.
- Please DO NOT include your name in the file name of your video recording.
- All submitted video selections must come from the submitted repertoire list.
- No substitutions or edits will be allowed for submitted repertoire once the application is finalized.
- Applicants must be prepared to present all repertoire on their list if chosen to participate in the semifinals.
- All selections must be performed from memory, both on the video and in the live auditions.
- No changes to submitted applications will be permitted past the deadline date of February 15, 2024, 11:59 EST.
- Contestants should be prepared to perform all submitted repertoire in its entirety for the semifinal and final rounds.
- Repertoire for the preliminary round MUST be the same for the semifinal and final rounds.
- A separate preliminary round jury will review submissions and select approximately 16 semifinalists.
- All applicants will be notified of the results by Mid-March 2024.
- Selected semifinalists will be sent further instructions after the results of the preliminary round have been made public.
- FMMC Foundation assumes no responsibility for actions of or injuries sustained by applicants or their escorts during their course of stay in the Washington, DC area.
- All contestants are responsible for transportation to and from Washington, DC.
- The decision of the judges is final and not to be disputed. No contact with the judges is permitted until after the results have been announced.
- The WIC reserves the right to use any recordings or photographs originated during the competitions, or any photographs or recordings provided by the contestants.
For technical questions please contact the Acceptd Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-888-725-2122. Check out our Help Desk for frequently asked questions.