Start an Application
Narrow your Search
2022 69th Annual Washington International Competition for Composition
Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
The Washington International Competition for Composition is held every three years. The winner of the 2022 Competition for Composition will be performed by professional musicians of the Washington, DC area at the Finals for the Washington International String Competition on May 29, 2022, at 2:00 pm in the Terrace Theater of the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
The Acceptd application link will be open as of October 1, 2021 and will close on February 15, 2022. Winners will be announced by April 1, 2022.
If you are applying to the Washington International Competition for Strings please click here.
Competition History and Purpose
Established in 1950, the Washington International Competition (WIC) supports outstanding young artists on the cusp of their careers by providing monetary awards and performance opportunities. Competition winners have a significant opportunity to rise from the ranks of talented students to recognition as professionals. The WIC occurs in a three-year rotation for piano, strings and voice. As of 1976, a competition for composition of a chamber work for strings or piano and strings is also held concurrently with the strings competition.
First Prize - $5,000
Second Prize - $2,500
- Entrants must be between 18 and 35 years old as of February 15, 2022.
- An entrance fee of $45 US must be submitted. Electronic payment through GetAcceptd is highly preferred. If contestant is unable to submit payment electronically, a check may be written payable to Friday Morning Music Club Foundation.
- Composition must be a chamber work for 3 to 5 players for string trio, string quartet, piano trio, piano quartet or piano quintet. No electronics or other instruments may be included.
- Composition must be a maximum of 8 minutes long.
- Composition must not have been commercially published or publicly performed.
- Amateur performances—such as by music students at a college campus—are acceptable and will not disqualify a work. Do not send a recording.
- Electronic entry via Acceptd is preferred. Scores must be accompanied by a cover letter including composer's name, contact information and curriculum vitae.
- Scores must be neat, legible, and adhere to accepted standards for instrumental score order: violin 1, violin 2, viola, cello, piano.
- The composer's name must not appear anywhere on the score.
- The winning compositions will be announced by April 1, 2022.
- Winning composers must be prepared to supply a set of performance materials upon notification of their award.
- Contestants should use the following address to apply: https://wiccomposition.getacceptd.com.
- Contestants who are unable to submit their scores electronically may submit them in paper form. In this case, the contest administrator will convert the documents into .pdf format. Send all paper scores to the following address: Washington International Competition for Composition, 1536 Winding Waye Ln., Silver Spring, MD 20902.
For technical questions, please visit the Acceptd Help Desk.