Start an Application
Narrow your Search
Ictus International Music Competition
Accenting the Best in Music™
**Because several applicants have experienced technical difficulties, we have extended our final deadline to Friday, July 17, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. The applicant’s age category is still based on their age on July 15, 2020. If you are experiencing technical difficulties, please reach out to email@example.com at your earliest convenience. No entries will be accepted after 11:59 p.m. EDT on July 17, 2020.
2020 TRUMPET COMPETITION
*Applicant's age category will be based on his or her age on July 15, 2020
To apply, select the solo trumpet competition from the first dropdown menu, and then select your age category from the second. You may save progress on your application and finish it later.
Last Updated: June 25, 2020
1.) Eligibility/Time Limits
- The contest is open internationally to trumpeters of all ages. Applicants will be grouped into four categories based on age. Each category will have a different time limit.
- GROUP 1 - Ages 13 and under – 8 minutes maximum
- GROUP 2 - Ages 14-18 – 10 minutes maximum
- GROUP 3 - Ages 19-25 – 12 minutes maximum
- GROUP 4 - Ages 26 and up – 15 minutes maximum
- Applicants must compete in their age category (no competing up or down) and may be required to show proof of age if requested by the competition committee.
- Categories are based on the applicant’s age on the application deadline, July 15, 2020.
- The repertoire selection is open to the applicant and all judging is done through video tape submission. The following rules/restrictions apply.
- The applicant can submit any published piece, combination of pieces, or combination of movements of pieces as long as the total combined time is within the maximum time limits listed above. The applicant may make cuts to a piece or movement of a piece to fit the time limits if s/he wishes.
- The applicant must perform with an accompaniment unless the piece is written for solo/unaccompanied trumpet. The competition will accept video tapes with piano, orchestra, chamber ensemble, wind band, percussion, guitar, electronics or any other accompaniment required by the composer in the published piece.
- ** COVID-19 exception ** The competition will accept recordings with a pre-recorded accompaniment for those applicants who are not able to record with a live accompanist because of social distancing.
- The video must have been recorded between June 15, 2019 and July 15, 2020.
- Each piece must be performed in one take with no edits. If you are submitting multiple pieces, they must be submitted together as one video file that does not exceed the maximum time-limits for the applicant’s age category. Ictus reserves the right to immediately disqualify any applicant whose tape shows evidence of editing within one take of a piece other than a cut to meet time limits.
- The video must be from only one angle that shows the trumpet and the accompanist (if the piece requires accompaniment). No multi angle videos/montages will be accepted as they suggest that the video and audio may have been edited.
- The applicant does not have to submit a score at the time of application. However, if requested by the committee, the applicant must submit either an original score or a copy of the score with written permission for competition use from the publisher. Failure to respond to this request will result in the applicant being disqualified.
- There is no live round – all adjudication will take place online through video submission. It is suggested that the applicant submit as high quality of video as possible to give a fair representation of their playing.
- The application deadline is 11:59 Eastern Daylight Time, July 15, 2020. No late applications will be accepted.
- The application will be accessible from May 8, 2020.
- All applications will be submitted entirely through Acceptd, the exclusive third-party submission platform used by Ictus for the Competition. Please access Acceptd via this link: https://app.getacceptd.com/ictus. There, applicants must upload one video file of their musical performance(s). Acceptable file types include MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, MKV, and M2V. By making a Submission, you agree to be bound by the Official Competition Rules, and Acceptd’s terms and conditions.
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $125. This fee must be paid online at the time of registration for the application to be considered complete.
- Since the competition is judged online, there are no further travel, lodging, accompaniment, or concert fees.
- The competition has prize money available for the first place winner in each category as follows:
- GROUP 1 - Ages 13 and under – 1st Place - $500
- GROUP 2 - Ages 14 through 18 – 1st Place - $750
- GROUP 3 - Ages 19 through 25 – 1st Place - $1000
- GROUP 4 - Ages 26 and up – 1st Place -- $1500
- 2nd place, 3rd place, and honorable mention are also available in each category, but will not carry any cash award
- The competition reserves the right to split a prize or award between two applicants.
- The competition reserves the right to not award a prize if they feel no applicants meet the artistic standard.
- Interviews will only be guaranteed to 1st prize winners.
- All decisions of the judges are final
- July 15, 2020 – Application Deadline
- August 15, 2020 – Finalists Announced
- September 15, 2020 – Winners Announced
7.) Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2017-2020, Ictus Music, Inc.